Your child is the epicenter of your existence. You love your baby unconditionally and the search for suitable baby products starts well before the baby arrives! You want nothing but the best for your precious cherub! You draw a list of the safest bath products, the mildest body lotions and creams, and the gentlest of oils and baby powders from popular brands. The thought of gently massaging her soft skin with these sweet-smelling products brings a smile to your face…
What if you learned that the ‘mild’ and ‘gentle’ products actually contain toxic chemicals that are a real threat to the health and wellness of your child? These popular baby products lead us to believe that they’re indispensible for a baby’s soft skin, but nothing can be farther from the truth! Studies show that these toxins are likely to enter the bloodstream if used regularly. In fact, they cause more harm than good. It is better to use fewer chemical-based products and include many that are natural and non-toxic. Go-Nayked.com offers you several such options. Take an informative tour!
Effects of exposure to toxins
The first few years are crucial for your child’s development. At this stage, the baby’s central nervous system and immune systems are still developing and are more vulnerable to the adverse effects of noxious chemicals. Their body is incapable of eliminating toxins. Moreover, children have a skin surface that is almost double that of adults’ per unit of their body weight! So their skin can absorb more chemicals. They also breathe in more air than adults and therefore, expose themself to even more chemicals by inhalation. These can cause long-term health problems in a child. So, it is vital to avoid or limit your baby’s exposure to toxins via personal care products like soap, powder, cream, shampoo, and diaper wipes. Opt for natural alternatives.
Chemicals to watch out for in baby products
- Mineral oil: This is the byproduct of petroleum processing. It is found in baby oils and it wraps around the baby’s skin like plastic, thus affecting the skin’s ability to release toxic materials. Mineral oils are usually mixed with artificial fragrances.
- Talc: The mineral talc occurs in rock mass formations in combination with other minerals, including the toxic asbestos. It is almost impossible to isolate talc from asbestos during mining. So, the carcinogenic asbestos is bound to be present in any product containing talc, including baby powder. Talc is a drying agent known to be a lung irritant and a carcinogen.
- 1, 4 dioxane and ethylated surfactants: This chemical is not intentionally added during manufacture of a beauty product (therefore, conveniently not mentioned on the list of ingredients). It is a by-product that is obtained when ethylene oxide, a known carcinogen, is added to the other chemicals to ‘lessen’ their harsh effect. Almost 57% of all baby soaps are contaminated with this toxin. Steer clear of ingredients with the letters, ‘eth’ – polyethylene glycol, polyethylene, sodium laureth sulfate, ceteareth, and PEG.
- Parabens: These are preservatives that are added to many personal care products to prevent the growth of bacteria. But they are also linked to hormone disruption and skin irritation. They are found in baby soaps, shampoos and moisturizers.
- Propylene glycol: This chemical enhances penetration and is easily absorbed by the skin. It may be carcinogenic. Used in wiper fluid and also to de-ice airplanes, it is very often found in baby wipes! Watch out for polyethylene glycol (PEG) and polypropylene glycol (PPG).
- Fragrance: These are generally made of coal and petroleum-derived synthetic chemicals. They are added to mask the odor of other chemicals in the product or to create a specific fragrance. The loophole is that manufacturers are not required to reveal the chemicals used in the fragrance! Fragrance is added to disposable diapers, baby wash, powder, lotions, diaper ointments and shampoo. Exposure to fragrance may lead to asthma in babies.
- Triclosan: Many products labeled as ‘antibacterial’ contains this chemical. It is an endocrine disruptor. Found in antibacterial soaps and body wash for babies.
This holiday season is a great opportunity to spread the goodness of natural baby products! Go-Nayked.com offers you a range of products that are manufactured responsibly and will be wonderful gifts for babies. Visit our marketplace and avail of our amazing seasonal offers!